Listening to your body is of the utmost importance for your health. It’s essential to track the rhyme and reason for your growing headaches and neck pain. As the best chiropractors in Park Forest, IL, we are here to help share the vital information between neck pain and headaches. Learn more about Park Forest Chiropractic and your first visit on our website today!
The Link Between Neck Pain and Your Headache
Headaches Caused by a Neck Problem
A headache caused by neck pain is usually chronic and categorized in one of the following conditions
- Cervicogenic Headaches: What starts as a small ache in the neck will begin growing upward along the back of the head and affecting one of your sides. Joint and nerve disorders in the neck are often the root cause of CGH.
- Occipital Neuralgia: Any painful electric-shock feelings on the back of your head or neck are indicators of Occipital Neuralgia. The root cause of this condition comes from an injury in the occipital nerve.
Headaches That May Cause Neck Pain
Specific types of headaches left untreated can result in growing neck pains. Here are the primary forms of headaches that cause neck pain:
- Tension Headaches: A common headache that forms when the scalp and neck muscles become tense.
- Migraine Headaches: These recurring headaches that cause moderate throbbing pains are common for developing neck pain.
- Temporomandibular Joint Headaches: Signs of having TMJ come from having headaches around the temples and ears while grinding your teeth in your sleep. It might be hard to pinpoint, but contact a professional who can treat these conditions regardless.
- Hemicrania Continua: This condition causes severe one-sided headaches that quickly spread to your neck, shoulders, and ears.
Diagnosing and Treating Neck Pain and Headache
It’s important to detail and describe every aspect of your head and neck pain to a certified professional that can evaluate and give you a proper diagnosis. The conditions we treat at Park Forest Chiropractic include all previously listed symptoms along with total readjustment therapy to get you feeling better than ever.
When To Take Serious Action
Consistent headaches and neck pains should be evaluated and treated by a professional as soon as your schedule allows it. Seek medical attention and treatment immediately if you have one or more of the following symptoms:
Consistent pain in both arms
High fever with constant neck pain or headache
Headaches that trigger from any symptoms of sickness such as coughing or sneezing
Loss of balance
Uncontrolled loss of speech or vision
Rapid uncontrolled weight loss